success
About Me


Name::Raj
From::Mumbai, India
I'm a true geminine....I'm shy and also outgoing, I'm disciplined and also naughty sometimes...I'll be good to you...but can never be bad to you...believe me....
View my complete profile

Recent Posts

Computer Diagnosis - A joke
My Blog type
A touching mail
What's My aura....
DANCE OF THE DEVIL
Good Moral
Nice Joke
Annoying Things To Do In An Elevator
Mumbai Blasts
Zizou Fiasco

Archives

February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
September 2007
July 2008
September 2008
March 2009

My Reads

Google News
Knowledge@Wharton
Strategy-Business
Mckinsey
Economist
Funny Jokes

My Visitors

My Earth

My Video

Try Video
Try lyrics - Nelly Furtado lyrics
Nelly Furtado Music Videos
Music Video Codes by VideoCure

Monday, August 07, 2006

Puzzles........

Taking cue from NMOTB, here I present some more puzzles, for all of you to stress your mind.

Bulbs
This is one of my favorite puzzle.
Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs (all are off at the moment), each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if you may enter the room with the bulbs only once?

Ball in a Hole
A table tennis ball fell into a tight deep pipe. The pipe was only a bit wider then the ball, so you can not use your hand. How would you take it out, with no damage?

Ball
How can you throw a ball as hard as you can and have it come back to you, even if it doesn't hit anything, there is nothing attached to it, and no one else catches or throws it?


Ill post the solutions on Friday.Those of you who know the solutions plz post them on Friday only, in between u can comment that u cracked the answer.

---------------------------------------------

18 Comments:

Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Howzit - I am commenting that I HAVE NOT cracked the answers yet but hopefully will have them by Friday!!! lol

Monday, August 07, 2006 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Yeah, I have no clue myself, but I will come back!

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

I wish u both all the best. I'm sure u'll come back with solutions by Friday.Third one is a simple one u can start frm that.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

I would throw the ball at my ceiling and lay on the floor, what goes up, must come down right? So the ball would come back to me..

As for the ball in the pipe, how about suction? I could use my mouth to grip it or forced air, or hold the pipe upside down with my feet and shake it, lol

Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:28:00 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Lat but not least the bulbs, hmmmm... well if you look where the bulbs are placed in the other room then the wires should run the same way, they should follow the placement of the light switches in the other room.

I tried! lol

Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:30:00 AM  
Blogger Raj said...

Well tried Cinderella and u r on target for the first one, anything thrown vertically up automatically comes down.

As for the ball in the pipe, what if the pipe is fixed? u cant make it upside down.Suction is a very good idea but it needs some effort and if the pipe is long v will b left out of breath. There is one more simple idea, think, I'm sure u'll definitely get it.

ummm bulbs in the roooms...good try. Are u an engineer what? all scientific answers. well what if the wiring is concealed in the wall.There is one more ligical answer. try it.

I appreciate u r sincere effort buddy. These puzzles can have multiple solutions and u r answers stand good.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

WATER? How about if you put water in the pipe? Won't that free the ball by force?

The light bulbs I am still thinking about lol

Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

The light bulbs...what if you were able to turn the switches on before you entered the room with the bulbs, for instance, I would turn 2 switches on and leave one off so I was able to tell which light switch went to which bulb.

This has my mind going =)

Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:10:00 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

Wow...u r mind is really working..u got it correct with the water...Very...Good.

Bulbs...but u can enter the rooms with the bulbs only once...so how u'll distinguish between the 2 switched on bulbs which switch belongs to which bulb. But u r near ...think abt it....

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:40:00 PM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Are pictures allowed? lol

I would take a pic of the bulbs then try to figure it out that way.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yep I got the 2nd puzzle before I read Cinderella's answer and the solution to the 3rd one is just to throw the ball straight up in the air and it will come back down to you.
The first one is slighty more harder to find an answer to but I'll keep thinking about it :)

Thanks for commenting on my blog a couple of days ago :D

Friday, August 11, 2006 1:39:00 AM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

G - Hello, fancy meeting you here!

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:18:00 AM  
Blogger Raj said...

Hi frnds, first of all Congratulations to Cinderella for getting 2 puzzles right and to Gareth for getting one right. You guys really got brains buddies, Well Done.

Bulbs : Keep the first bulb switched on for a few minutes. It gets warm, right? So all you have to do then is ... switch it off, switch another one on, walk into the room with bulbs, touch them and tell which one was switched on as the first one (the warm one) and the others can be easily identified ...

NMOTB: I wonder y u didn't try any?

Friday, August 11, 2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

hi raj, i did but i deleted my comment cause I got it sooooooo wrong!!!! You were right with my quiz

Friday, August 11, 2006 1:56:00 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Hi Buddy - Have nice weekend! Hope you don't have to spend it at home again because of the rain!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:48:00 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Thanks Raj, and thanks for working my brain!! Have a great weekend!!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Raj said...

NMOTB: Hi buddy, Thx a lott, y a I hope this time rain will not spoil my weekend, but its very cloudy out here right now. Your weekend plans are already in place I know. Have a blast.

Cinderella: Hi Cinderella, I loved the enthusiasm u showed in solving the puzzles. All the Best to u and have a gr8 weekend.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home